May 272011

We’ve been hinting on the blog for a while that we hope to bring you some improvements to AddressingHistory and we are finally able to bring you more news on those developments…

Earlier this year we kicked off several months work (using internal funds) to improve AddressingHistory with our developer, George, currently working on some very clever ways to improve the way address information from the directories is parsed (understood by machine) that will help us to present historical directory information more clearly and more accurately. The work will address some of the feedback we have had on AddressingHistory since we launched and it should mean that it is much easier to find your way around the maps and lists of search results.

We are not only improving what is already in place but we are also hoping to add some new directories including several fom cities outside of Edinburgh – one of which we know a lot of AddressingHistory users will be pleased to see. We can’t tell you more for now but we are confident you will be able to see a really positive difference once the changes are rolled out later this year. Keep an eye on this blog for updates over the coming months.

Finally we were delighted to see a post by Dr Peter Mattews, a lecturer at the School of the Built Environment at Heriot Watt University, on his excellent Urbanity and History blog.  Peter recently found out about AddressingHistory through his Twitter account and decided to use it to look at the distribution of advocates in Edinburgh and how that changes with the development of the New Town. His blog post “Historical development and concentrations of affluence” includes some more background and some screen shots of the maps he created through AddressingHistory.

We love to hear about how you are using AddressingHistory and are always happy to feature research and interesting discoveries here on the blog so please do leave comments here, let us know about your own blog posts and websites or get in touch via email (addressing.history@ed.ac.uk) if you have a story to share.

2 Responses to “An Update on Development and a Super Blog Post on Historical Affluence in Edinburgh”

1. Firstly, I’m new to the site but I can see further collaborations for AddressingHistory. I wondered if you had heard of Kate McLean? She has done some sensory maps of Edinburgh: http://www.sensorymaps.com. Whilst I understand what she has done something different is there any correlation between the movement of people and their sensory experiences?

Secondly, in the search for a profession function would it be possible to have a list of the most searched for professions as an option to click on? I think this would add further interest and usefulness to the site.

Thirdly, I hope you don’t mind me including a link to my site as it helps pay for my education: [Link removed by Moderator]

2. Gillies,

Many thanks for the link to Kate McLean’s work – she has done some quite beautiful and inspiring maps of the city and I am delighted to include the link to it here as it is certainly pertinent to AddressingHistory. There is certainly plenty of scope for collaborating with artists and writers in the future – much of Edinburgh’s past is still evident to a modern visitor. If others reading this have ideas or an interest in collaborating in the future please email us: addressing.history@ed.ac.uk.

Your second question was about the most searched for professions. I will note this request in our list of suggestions for the site. At the moment we do have a list of the most common professions in the directory (via the FAQ section) but it would certainly be interesting to see what people were currently searching for right now.

Finally I have left your comment about your website but removed the link from the comment. This is because the contents of the site is not relevant to AddressingHistory. As a commenter you do, however, have the option to include a URL when you make a comment so I have instead included the URL here where it is more appropriate.

Many thanks for your comments,
    Nicola Osborne, AddressingHistory Team

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.