Things have been getting really busy prior to the big AddressingHistory Launch event this week so we thought we would quickly let you know what we’ve been up to.
We were delighted to be featured on page 8 of the Herald newspaper yesterday (Monday 15th November).
Last month we were also featured, along with the excellent AskScotland project, in IS News: the Newsletter of the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals in Scotland.
You can find information about these and other articles about the project in our new publications area. Do let us know if you have written about AddressingHistory for your local history newsletter, genealogy magazine, etc. and we will be delighted to mention and link to it here.
Earlier this month Stuart attended the RunCoCo Community Collection Online Sustainability and Business Models workshop to give a short presentation on AddressingHistory and to hear about the other exciting projects in the JISC Developing Community Content Programme which we are part of.
In late October Nicola also gave a presentation on AddressingHistory, and how we have been using social media (like this blog), to the CILIPS Autumn Gathering in Dunfermline and was delighted to meet librarians from across Scotland many of whom took AddressingHistory flyers and posters for their libraries and local history groups. Do get in touch with us if you’d like to do the same.
Changes to this Website
In readiness for our launch of the AddressingHistory tool we have been adding and changing a few things around here. We have added two new pages for Presentations and Press.
The Presentations page lists and links to the presentations we have been giving on the project – including numerous mentions of our wonderful blog readers and community around the project. The Press page has been prepared for journalists, bloggers and others who want to write about the project. There are links here to information about the project, the project partners and our new collection of images associated with the project.
There are a few other smaller changes to the website:
- AddressingHistory Launch Event link added – this is a new area of the website for all things launch related. If you are in Edinburgh and can make it along or if you would like to read blog posts and live blogging from the event then this is the place to click.
- Flickr link added – AddressingHistory is proud to announce our new Flickr account. Here you will find images of the physical Post Office Directories and maps which AddressingHistory will be making available online. We will also be adding images from our launch event, screen captures of the tool, and other images we think may be of interest to you or to people writing about the project.
- AddressingHistory API Google Group link added – we have recently set up this Google Group (an easy to use email list) for those interested in using the API (Application Programming Interface) for AddressingHistory for their own websites, projects, or mashups.
You can view all of these changes on the site or see our annotated image below:
Previews of Forthcoming Attractions
Over the next few days we will also be adding:
- A link to the AddressingHistory tool ready for tomorrow’s launch.
- AddressingHistory Badges for you to add to your own website or blog.
- Videos about the AddressingHistory project.
We also hope to add some guest postings from our first users of AddressingHistory – we’d love to hear what you think of it, what you have been researching with it or anything really interesting you’ve found out through the historical directories. Do drop us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would be interested in contributing.